The most difficult times can produce the greatest spiritual blessings. God truly knows just what we need at every moment!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Second Sunday in Ordinary Time – B


Second Sunday in Ordinary Time – B

The notion of vocation in the Gospel should not be restricted to the priestly or religious vocation. In the case of Jesus it is a vocation to the discipleship, vocation to follow Christ, to become the child of God. We all are called to follow this path.

Jesus calls us to follow Him and finally to enter eternal live. This is the reason why He became a man. His vocation is much more serious and much deeper then we expect means the happiness in this life.

He is not a magician satisfying our desires and caprices, His goal is not to make our life sumptuous and luxurious. He is our Saviour; His goal is to liberate us from the slavery of sin, from the power of evil. This is our vocation; this is what He is calling us for.

And so, when the disciples of John are interested in the person of Jesus and would like to follow Him, He asks them an honest question: “What are you looking for?” or what are you expecting from me, what are you searching for? Are you expecting from me to fulfill your expectations or your desires, your caprices?

And  they ask another question: «where are you staying». We would like to know where you are, who you are. This is quite honest request. And so, His answer is "come and see".

This is exactly the same or similar situation when Jesus is calling me and you. He asks precisely the same question: "What are you looking for?” what do you expect from me, what do you expect from God? If you would like to see what I can give you, come and follow me, come and see.

But the misery of our times is that people nowadays answer: "I don't have time, I am too busy, too tired, I have so much to do to assure the financial security and prosperity of my life …" or very often in our society of immediate gratification the answer is: "you Jesus cannot offer me anything, because I need what you won't like to give me and I need it NOW !!! I am not interested in your proposal; it's not answering my expectations and my idea of a happy life. If you won't make my life happy according to my standards so ... I am not interested and I will not buy it.

In the first reading Samuel called by God answers: "Speak, for your servant is listening." In the Gospel the two disciples of John the Baptist "they went and saw where Jesus was staying, and they stayed with him that day." And as we know they stayed with Him until the end of their lives, until their death.

We, we are doubting, we are reasoning, discussing, waiving or ignoring. We have some serious problem in trusting God. We declare that we believe in God, but at the same time don't believe God, we don’t trust Him.
In the wordy declaration we repeat in "Our Father … may your will be done" and at the time we try to do always so He follows our will.

I am not accusing anybody, I am not blaming anybody, I am just trying to find the reason why we are so unhappy having apparently everything to make us happy?

And this is true for the priestly vocation when some people are searching their self-realization only and if it doesn't work they quit, they abandon; they are disappointed, frustrated and angry with God.

This is the same for the religious vocation where some people are deciding to enter the religious life only to satisfy their expectations and if this doesn't work they are upset and depressed. God didn't follow their expectations, so they abandon Him.

But this is the same with the vocation to the family or marital life. If this is not answering our "immediate gratification" mentality, we quit, we divorce, we abandon.

So when Jesus is asking you: "“What are you looking for?” or what are you expecting from me, what are you searching for?" answer honestly. When He is proposing: "Come and see" don't delay, go and see where He is and stay with Him, like Simon, and Andrew, and John, and Matthew, and so many others.

Because as St. Paul says in his first letter to the Corinthians (1 Cor 1: 27-29):
"God chose (called) rather the foolish of the world to shame the wise,
he chose those who by human standards are weak to shame the strong
those who by human standards are common and contemptible -- indeed those who count for nothing – He choose (called) to reduce to nothing all those that do count for something,
so that no human being might boast before God."

No comments: